Monday, September 24, 2007

Opening Night

In a taxi on the way to this year's WIWF I engaged my driver in some litterati chit-chat.

"What's your favorite book? All time. Or your favorite author?"

I hoped to hear a multi-syllabled East Indian word or name connected with some cyclic-tome on love and war and rebirth.

"Why, Sir?"

"I'm a blogger, writing for a writing festival."

"At The Forks? This is where all the people are going."

He scrunched his spectacled face. "I like Donald Trump books, you know, on getting rich, these things."

"Awesome. Ever read Tony Robbins?"

It was the only name I could recall that shared the genre.

"Anthony Robbins. Of course."

"You should check out this guy tomorrow talking at the University of Winnipeg, Brian Henderson, he's a writer."

"Does he speak about the power of positive thinking?"

"I think so. He's a poet. He's very positively received."

"Maybe I'll go then. Monday is my day off."

* * *

J.S. is a propagandist and pamphleteer for over sixty-six Crown and Association publications. He has been both staff and contributing writer for weekly newspapers such as the Selkirk Journal, the Gimli Spectator, and the Midnight Sun, in Dawson City, Yukon. His poems and prose have appeared in the Golden Buzz (now the Force Gazette), Tart Magazine, and as low, low, low-run chapbooks. He is also founding member of the now defunct rap-futurist collective, Xenophane Six.

No comments: